15 Jan Roasted new potatoes
It happens early every summer. The tiny potatoes appear and I start to look for them at the local markets.
The locals consider these tiny gems to be trash and they are also treated as such. If you go to the market you will find them in a crate off to the side with a big sale sign. Once I found them in Győr at an upscale market where they were so cheap I bought 5 kilos. I still remember the woman asking me: “What are you going to do with those?” I shrugged and fearing more questions I ran away with my price and and my secret.
I always wonder, when will people learn what I already know. Every year I ask myself: “do they know it? are they going to still be affordable? what kind of strategy should I use to hide my secret?” I want to risk it and share my secret. The thing is, we’re moving so I am gone in a few weeks. I am ready to share my secret with the human race. Roasted tiny potatoes are the most amazing potatoes you will eat. I love them so much that I eat them without anything. Only potatoes and me. Katy is the same way. Now you know!
A few weeks ago I spotted them: they were imported from France and on mega sale in our local supermarket. I was so happy. I never had my favorite tiny potatoes in winter, so of course I bought a few bags. The recipe is very simple.
1. Wash them, scrub them, do not remove the skin. If you have a bigger specimen, cut them in half.
2. Cook them in a boiling water for 8-10 minutes (depending on the size).
3. Once cooked, drain them in a colander and let them dry for about 5 minutes.
4. Put them into a roasting pan and roast them on 390 degrees F for approximately 45 min – 1 hour. Give them a shake to turn them at the halfway point. You can use olive oil or any other oil, a combination of oil and butter, or, if you are decadent, use lard or goose fat – your results will be even better.
5. Salt them generously and enjoy them BIG TIME!
Maybe you have noticed that the pictures are slighter better quality. I would like to thank my in-laws for a great birthday present – a new Canon 430 EX flash. The photography is more fun with it. Thank you and I am looking forward to cook some nice rich Central European meal garnished with roasted tiny potatoes for you soon.